Most frequent questions and answers
What: Rugby 1st Limited is a Not-For-Profit Business Activation Community established to facilitate business networking and connectivity while supporting the game of Rugby.
• When: We launched Rugby 1st at a private event in April 2019 and our memberships are being relaunched in September 2019
• Why: The founders believed that more can be done to support Rugby in Australia through embracing our business and brands connections to give back while making a meaningful impact on the game at all levels
Yes – it is a fully registered NFP organisation. RUGBY 1ST LIMITED, (ACN 633 423 266; ABN 58633 423 266).
Rugby 1st, principals and co-founders of Rugby Alex Lyus , Angus Stewart and Adrian Skeggs.
For more information see the “who are we “page
Our primary charity is Ex Wallaby Richard Tombs & Guns Out Spinal Foundation but we are open for other highly reputable and worthwhile causes to provide meaningful and long-term support.
• An example of Rugby 1st’s benevolent activities is that we supported Hearts in Union golf day
by sponsoring the drink cart and purchasing the major prize on the day of the 2019 Hearts in Union Golf Day – our direct commitment on this day was in excess of $6,000 while bringing additional teams to the event.
• Rugby 1st has committed to directly donating 10% of all our membership fees directly to Richard Tombs & Guns Out Spinal Foundation initially for 12 months to then be reviewed with him in June 2020.
• We believe all these causes and more, are compelling and will evaluate our direct charity donations on a request basis.
NSW Junior Rugby Union – Sponsorship Agreement 7 May 2019
- Rugby 1st confirmed its support of NSWJRU by committing as naming rights sponsor for the “2019 Rugby 1st NSWJRU Girls State Championships” held on the long weekend in June at Boronia Park, Hunters Hill. It also partnered with Rhino Rugby to deliver the first ‘Rugby 1st Spirit of Rugby Award” and involved a prize of a RWC Jersey and 2 airfares, accommodation and 2 tickets to the Wallabies v Argentina test in Brisbane in July, donated by Rhino. Winners Ambryn Murphy-Haua and her Mum Innez comments
o Rugby 1st will also appear on the sleeve of the NSW Juniors Rep teams which includes the NSWJRU Under 18 teams I & II as well as the NSRJRU U16 Presidents XV.
o “We’re looking forward to working with the ream at Rugby 1st and are really thankful for their support. Hopefully this is the start of a long relationship between their team and NSWJRU,” – Ben Gregory, President, NSW Junior Rugby Union.
- Veteran Sport Australia – Memorandum of Understanding signed 3 May 2019.
“We’re delighted to be working with Rugby 1st to encourage more veterans and their families to get involved in the sport of Rugby.” Said Michael Hartung, General Manager of Veteran Sport Australia, “We know the velue of sport in assisting veterans when transitioning to civilian life and the passion that exists within the Defence Force for the sport of Rugby. The Rugby 1st programs and initiatives will make it easy for veterans to connect with Rugby Clubs who are equally
keen to see more veterans involved in their sport.”
All our events are designed to elevate your corporate connectivity and deliver great speakers, great catering and
real opportunities for members and sponsors to shine a light on their business and meet new contacts:
- Paid General & Sponsor Members will get priority registration for these events, as they sell out.
- Discounted registration fee for members covers venue expenses, catering and 1st drink free. Additional drinks available at the bar throughout the night.
- Rugby 1st Captains Lunches – 2 events in Sydney in 2020.
- Corporate Member Drinks – these are private invitation only events hosted by the Rugby 1st team and will be scheduled accordingly in 2020 to assist Corporate and Bespoke members achieve superior connectivity in an informal environment.
Please see Member Benefits page for a full list of benefits for our Corporate Sponsors.
• If you’re a Rugby 1st corporate member, you can be sure our team is thinking about your business and how you could benefit from more introductions or targeted private events / networking. We would be open for a discovery meeting to discuss and agree terms to assist with your required outcomes. We want to help, so we need to hear about it.
Rugby 1st is managed by the co-founders – Adrian, Angus and Alex. We are bound by the financial rules applied to the operations of NFP organisations. Our accounts will be managed by our accountants, Professional Insights. Membership fees and event fees are applied as follows:
o 10% Direct donation to Richard Tombs & Guns Out Spinal Foundation
o Catering, Audio Visual, Event & Venue Costs to cover the obligations for each event
The Corporate Game Plan Pty Ltd (CGP) is a private company and a completely separate entity to Rugby 1st. The company is owned by Alexandra Lyus, Adrian Skeggs and Angus Stewart – who are all Directors. Alex has operated her core business, a corporate event company, On Q Event Management Pty Ltd since May 2000 – delivering countless events and conferences to some of Australia’s biggest brands and most respected NFP’s. Alex created CGP to deliver public corporate events and networking with a sporting twist to also partially support Rugby 1 st projects. CGP has now expanded to include sponsorship, business development and consultation, plus targeted private corporate events, across all sports. Where CGP events involve rugby, they will deliver back to Rugby 1st to continue their work in rugby.
• While we will be telling the Rugby 1st community about CGP events – CGP events are delivered from the CGP website and are marketed to, and will be attended by, a wider business community.
• Rugby 1st paid members also receive significant discounts if they choose to register and participate in a CGP event benefiting Rugby and noted on the Rugby 1st website
Some examples of CGP Australian Events in association with Rugby 1st are
- Changing The Game – Celebrating Women in Sport & Business (benefitting
Women’s Rugby) – 14 November 2019
- NSW Regional Business & Rugby Roadshows (benefitting Regional & Community
Rugby) – 2020
- Fiji Business Retreat 2020.